Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Let the games begin!

In trying to get Jason on a schedule that includes taking longer naps IN HIS CRIB, falling asleep on his own (which means letting him cry at times), taking naps at the same time every day, and hopefully, eventually, even sleeping through the night, I have taken to keeping a very detailed log of times and events. It, along with this blog, is the closest I've come to journaling since Jason was born. If any one has some insights on how to help with any of the above mentioned goals, please let me know. Right now it's just about recording the data, analyzing it and tweaking the schedule/routine where necessary to try and find the optimum times/tactics. That's the theory behind it all. It feels much more hit and miss when put into practice. So any insight from parents is greatly appreciated.

Anyway, last night as I was jotting down some stuff in the baby log, just before Jason was supposed to go to bed, I hear Dustin laughing hysterically on the sofa. A pause. More laughter. Another pause. Laughter again. Curious as to what could be so side-splittingly entertaining, I went over. Turns out that while we normally play with Jason, this time, Jason was finally playing with us and it was the cutest thing in the world. Every time Dustin would blow in Jason's face, Jason would gasp or flinch, or some similar reaction involving inhaling air. He had never reacted this way before when we've blown in his face, and it was the first time that we had gotten him to consistently react to something the same way over and over again. It became a game, which even Jason picked up on because he was smiling and enjoying it just as much as Dustin and I were. Anyway, I had to get it on camera. The lighting is really poor, so I'm sorry for that, but here it is. Needless to say, he didn't get to bed on time because we were having too much fun playing with him. But watch the video and you'll see why we couldn't tear ourselves away.

4 comments:

  1. The first few days will be the hardest while he is learning to fall asleep by himself. It's a hard thing to master. The crying will just pull at your heart strings and you will so badly want to go rescue him. He should get better with each nap/bedtime.

    Every kid is different about a schedule. Charlie set his own schedule and it changes. It has worked pretty well for us. Hopefully you will be able to find a schedule that works for Jason. Good luck.

    Dustin, he isn't laughing at the blowing, he is laughing at you. Just as any good son should do to his silly father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there. I never let my son cry it out and he didn't sleep in his crib until he was 9 months old. That was hard! The first time I let him cry it out I cried for an hour afterward.

    There are two books you could look into to help. The first is called 'On Becoming Baby Wise' Great book, but it wasn't for me. It will however teach you how to put him on a schedule. It basically says that you should feed him when he wakes up, then let him have his awake time and then put him to sleep when he's sleepy but not asleep. Never let them eat to sleep. (that was hard for me).

    The second is called 'The Happiest Baby on the Block' this one is what I'm going to use for baby number 2 (coming soon!). I love this book. Unfortunetly I found it too late for my first. It teaches you how to replicate the womb and over the course of time teach them to self soothe. This is a slower process that doesn't require you to just let them cry it out.

    However you end up doing it though, good luck. Do what your mothers intution says and what works for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love blog hopping!!!!! I am so glad I found your blog. Send me your correct e-mail and I would love to invite you to ours!!! taralesa@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete