Friday, June 26, 2009

Yumminess

Here are three videos chronicling Jason's adventures in food land. Enjoy!

Jason first eats "solid" foods Tuesday June 9th. And by solid, we mean 4:1 ratio of milk to rice cereal. Not bad for a first attempt.

Just a few days later, (Saturday June 13th) while trying to achieve a 3:1 ratio, I realized it was a touch too runny because it hadn't been a full tablespoon of rice cereal that I added. So I went to pour in just a smidgen more and accidentally dumped 1/4 cup of rice cereal flakes into the bowl. I scraped as much of the excess off into another bowl as I could, and still had to add some more liquid to the first just to get it down to about a 1.5:1 ratio. But he loved it! He was thrilled by having something so solid that not only did he polish off the whole bowl, but I went ahead and mixed up the excess I had scraped into a second bowl, and he polished off that helping as well. What a good eater! I think we've found our magic ratio.

After a week of eating just rice cereal (it's all I brought on vacation) we finally came home and we able to feed Jason something else. On Tuesday the 23rd, to celebrate turning 7 months, Jason ate some winter squash for the first time. I think this is one of my top five videos of Jason. It's a classic.

As a follow up, we fed Jason the rest of that jar of winter squash Wednesday and Thursday night as well. Now, before you call Child Protection Services on us for torturing him two more nights with the food he apparently hates, you should know that he enjoys winter squash now. He still made that face and shuddered occasionally, but it was less and less each night, and despite any funny faces he made, he kept coming back for more and finished off the jar. So I think it's just a matter of adjusting his taste buds. Which brings me to the important parenting lesson learned: Your child may tell you they don't like something at first, but they don't know enough to know if they like it or not. Help them stick with it, and they may realize they really do enjoy it. (Thanks Mom for learning that lesson and making me stick with piano!)

No comments:

Post a Comment