Yesterday, Jason had his 4 month check up with Dr. Mackey. And it's no April Fool's joke - he weighed in at 15 lbs 12 oz (75th percentile) and 26.5 inches in length (90th percentile). Our little boy is getting big, and fast!
I wasn't looking forward to the visit since Jason was going to have to get more shots. Last time (2 month check up) that he got his shots, he was crying and crying, and then for the last shot, the nurse told me, "Now this one tends to hurt a little bit more than the others, so you're going to hear a completely different kind of scream." With that lovely forewarning, she gave him the shot, and my heart shattered. His eyes widened in pain and his cries from the previous shot were lost as a high pitched, shrill, shriek of anguish took over. I quickly pulled him into my arms to calm him, but it took about 10 minutes of holding and rocking and singing to get him calm enough where I could even try to put him in his car seat again in order to leave the office.
So that being out last experience, and knowing he had to get shots again, I wasn't looking forward to this time. But as I held his arms down and sang into his ears quietly, he cried for the first set, and cried a little bit harder for the last shot, but no shrieking like before. And the crying lasted about 10-15 seconds, and then he was done. He just calmed down and looked at me with big wet eyes as if to say, "That wasn't fun Mommy, but I trust you". I couldn't believe how well he behaved, how short the crying was. All I could say on the way out was, "What a big strong boy you are," "Mommy is so proud of you", "You were so brave. I am so impressed", etc, etc, etc. Not that he understood any of it, but I really was so impressed with him.
The highlight of the visit, however, was watching Jason on the table. It's amazing what fun a baby on a strip of medical butcher paper can have. I had to record his kicking craze on video. Enjoy.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am glad that his check up went so well. Those shots are always heart wrenching. Charlie remembered his 2 month check up when we went for his 4 month check up. He started crying as soon as we tried to put him on the table. The poor kid was only going to be measured. Now he cries every time we go. Count your blessings!
ReplyDelete