Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pomp and Circumstance

Friday May 22nd, Dustin graduated from Cal State Fullerton's credential program with a single subject credential to teach Spanish. He had graduated with his Bachelors in Spanish last August and chose not to walk in the commencement ceremonies, but since no cap and gown purchase was required for this graduation, he figured it wouldn't be so bad. So we went. Jason and I had an interesting time sitting about 2/3 of the way back in the non-stadium seating. It was impossible to see anything, and almost impossible to hear which group of credential student they were on. But while they took a LONG time to get through all the multiple subject credential students, Jason entertained all the crowd around us. It never ceases to amaze me just how adorable this kid is, and it feels pretty validating to have complete strangers come up with awe in their eyes and just gush over how beautiful and fun he is. It's good to know I'm not just biased. :-)

Fortunately for me though, most the families of the multiple subject graduates were disrespectful and left once their student was done. It disrupts the ceremony, but it frees up seats closer to the front. So Jason and I were able to sneak up and watch as Dustin got his credential (or at least the folder with CSUF logo on it that is meant to symbolize the actual document which he'll get mailed some time in the future). He had his hands in the air cheering for himself like he had just finished a marathon and took first place. And rightly so. Dustin's schooling has seemed like a marathon; he has been taking classes every semester, even summers, in order to complete. We are so proud of him for finishing this race! Now the next task will be getting a job. We have one district in Queen Creek AZ that he's interviewed twice with, but we're still waiting to hear back from them. Other than that, we're just looking for places to apply. So if you know of a high school needing a VERY well qualified Spanish teacher, give us a holler.


The happy Hemsath family


Jason congratulates Daddy with a kiss.

Dustin and David, a fellow LDS credential student who just got accepted to teach English at the same high school in Queen Creek that Dustin is waiting to hear back from.
Our "Superman" with Amanda and another friend from the credential program.

Jason and Mommy waiting for daddy's name to be called.

After the ceremony we went to celebrate at Outback Steakhouse. It was our friend Ryan's birthday as well, so we got the gang together, and even though we reserved it for 7:30 a few days in advance and showed up early the night of and still weren't seated until 8:30, they gave us some complimentary Bloomin' onions, so we were fine with that. So here we are with the Nielsen, Cox, Sepulveda, Liu and Jacobsen families. Hooray for good friends and good food!



5 comments:

  1. We're proud of your "Superman". We hope you get that job in AZ. We'll miss you- A LOT. (And as for Jonathan, I'm over it. He's actually doing better on the floor now because of his time with Jason. I think that he should spend more time with him. We were worried about tummy0time because he hated it so much, but since that time together, it's been better.) It was good to see you. Your family photo is beautiful. You look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Dustin! So Proud! Hope all goes well in Queen Creek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, so I had no idea that you were looking to move to AZ! Queen Creek is only about 15 minutes from us. I'd love to have more friends out here. Congrats and keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe- this post reminds me of Dale's graduation. Some of my favorite pictures of Madison are from that day. She was just 3 months old, so I remember sitting there. I think I even nursed her there, IN PUBLIC!!! Congrats to Dustin! Arizona would be so cool. You know, Claire's husband just got a teaching job out here in Dallas. They're moving into our ward in a week or so....such a small world! So if you want to join the group out here, you're always welcome. I need to call you and catch up! I stop working June 12th...so I'll call soon. I have 10 weeks left!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Dustin! Let us know when you hear about the job, although we aren't excited about the thought of our only family in CA moving away!

    ReplyDelete