Friday was the worst. More diarrhea and vomiting, and Saturday morning wasn't any better. Fearing dehydration, I took him in Saturday to the doctor, who said we needed to do a day of only clear fluids in order to beat whatever bug or infection he had (the doctor didn't seemed to concerned to find out what it was, only to treat it via bowel rest).
He was not happy about only getting a few sips of pedialyte every half hour. It was so hard to see him starving and hear him crying for food and knowing all I could give him was a tablespoon or two of fluids, per the doctors orders. During a much needed bath, he grabbed the cup I was using to rinse him with in a desperate attempt to drink some bath water. That broke my heart. Since he couldn't eat, he resorted to sleeping. His 3-4 hours of naps stretched into 6.


He stayed home from church on Sunday, and seemed to be doing much better. He was more energetic and playful, and hadn't had a bad episode, so we tried bland solids that evening. Monday morning, it was back again, so we went back to the doctor and did another day of clear fluids. Only problem, Jay was now refusing pedialyte in any form. He also wouldn't take any fluid in a sippy cup or bottle. He wanted to eat real food and refused to be on a liquid diet. The doctor suggested Jello, since it dissolves into a clear fluid and gives him the illusion of being able to eat. While it took Jay a while to get used to the texture, he eventually took to the new dessert.
Wednesday and Thursday have proven better days for our little Jay, and he has more energy now and is back to eating solids 3 times and having only 1 bath per day. He is still waking up at least once at night, and won't sleep in past 6am (usually closer to 5 am), so we'll have to work on getting him back to sleeping all the way through now that he isn't starving at 3am. He still gets kind of whiny during the day and wants to be held a lot, but I think that might be separation anxiety starting to kick in rather than still being sick. Who knows. But when he's happy, boy is he happy. Hope this picture and video make you happy, too.

Aww, poor little boy! I feel for you! I miss youguys SO much! Now I'm all weepy! You guys need to call sometime in the evening. We have some BIG news to share!
ReplyDelete