Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Our Birthday Boy


We can hardly believe that Jason is already one. It has been a long year, in the sense that we can't really remember what life was like before he came into our lives. But at the same time, it is going by so fast and its hard to believe we had a toddler instead of a baby.

To celebrate Jason's birthday, we are having a party with some neighbors and family at the park by our house the day after Thanksgiving. So Monday wasn't very eventful, but we did want him to open a couple presents on his actual birthday.

He got a musical, light-up, Old McDonald singing tractor from his Neina, which he loved until he found the button that made the tractor move forward on its own. It terrified him. Songs and lights he was fine with. Things with wheels that he can move are great too. But things that move on their own? Apparently that's where he draws the line. It was sad because he was running away from it towards us, but the tractor was pointed towards us, so it was chasing him. I'm trying to get him used to it, but meanwhile, we just push the song buttons on it.



From mom and dad he got a mirror for his crib that plays songs and lights up. He also got a new outfit.

The curly ribbon bows were the best part of the gift opening process for him. He still doesn't quite understand the concept of tearing paper off to reveal something underneath. Maybe after his party and Christmas he'll be a pro.



The day after his birthday, he had a doctor's visit for his 12 month well baby check up. He weighed in at 22.8 pounds, 31.5 " tall, which puts him at 50% for weight and 90% for height. Due to no insurance, he never had a 9 month well baby check up, so he was past due for a few shots. He wound up getting 6 total, including the swine flu shot. He didn't cry at all until after the third one, and then when all was said and done, he cried for 1-2 minutes tops. While I was helping hold him down and watching him cry, I noticed he had another molar coming in. And last night while brushing his teeth, I noticed a molar on top that was half way in already. So that makes 7 teeth and 3 molars by the age of 1. Is that a lot?

Between the shots and teething, I felt sorry for him and wanted to treat him somehow. So I let him feed himself with absolutely zero interference from mom. I let him make however much of a mess as he wanted to. I normally step in before it goes from messy to disastrous, but this time he was in control. Here is what Jay does with a jar of Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal if left to his own devices.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooo, he's SOOOO BIG and ADORABLE!! I miss him!! I can hardly believe how much he's grown!! *sniffle** Now I'm all weepy. Ugh. Hormones. I couldn't help but laugh myself silly about his little tractor he runs away from. He is SOO tall! Awesome.

    I should've really let you know what Jude's been up to and how much he's grown, up I was SOOO out of it last night. I need to get your cell number and call you when my brain isn't so addled. This reminds me of how much time has really elapsed since we started having computer trouble and how much stuff I need to get up on my blog. **shudder**

    Better get to work before we had to Idaho for the holidays! Eeeee! x_x

    ReplyDelete